Research has shown that it is the depletion of Potassium (and often Calcium) caused by excess salt in our diet, that is the villain in high blood pressure, rather than the salt itself.
Role In Our Body
- Helps regulate the fluid balance in our cells.
- Helps maintain the correct acidity in our blood.
- Helps convert our blood sugar to energy.
- Assists our blood to carry oxygen.
- Assists in the formation of muscle tissue.
- Assists in muscle and nerve action.
- Helps regulate growth in children.
- Helps our kidneys eliminate poisons and waste.
Too Little (usually due to excess salt)
- High blood pressure. Stroke.
- Muscle cramps.
- Irregular heartbeat. Weak sagging muscles. Low energy.
- Swelling of legs and other parts of the body (edema).
- Mental apathy and depression.
- Headaches and Migraine.
- Dry Skin.
- No known toxic effects below 18,000 mg daily if our kidney function is normal.
Good Sources Of Potassium
- Fruit (Bananas, Oranges, Honeydew, Apricots, Grapefruit)
- Spinach & Broccoli (Cooked)
- Red Meat (Grass Fed)